Bara Cailín 5: 40 ‘The Provost’s House’
The Provost’s House sits at No.1 Grafton Street, where the city’s main shopping thoroughfare meets College Green and Nassau Street. Built in 1789 this splendid piece of Georgian urban architecture has hosted the visits from countless dignitaries from all around the world.
Now, however, this once proud building has suffered the utter indignity of being pulled apart pilaster after cornice after Venetian window after round-headed arch.
Where parties once gathered in the grounds for receptions and celebrations these same grounds are now filled with the scattered detritus of the three thousand people charged with the building’s destruction.